ACADEMIC BOOKS AND ARTICLES
- editorial services and portfolio -
Academic books and articles are where I began to learn editing and project management, and I continue to work on millions of words each year in the humanities and social sciences. Having project managed, copyedited and proofread books published by more than ten of the biggest global academic publishers, I can help to ensure your text meets the best and most current editorial standards. At the same time, I appreciate that each text is a unique creation of an individual writer with their own background, preferences and intentions for their work.
Skills and experience
- Over ten years’ in-house and freelance experience
- Almost 150 book projects completed (more than 22 million words)
- Both print and digital workflows (familiar with HTML, XML and CSS)
- Experience with multiple editions
- Adept with various style guides (e.g. APA, Chicago, Guardian, Hart’s Rules and MLA), and can quickly adapt to clients’ house styles or develop a bespoke style guide from scratch
- Familiar with variants of English including British and American
- Considerable experience with highly illustrated and technical books and reports
- Practised at working with authors across disciplines, cultures, languages and language abilities
- Dexterity with referencing: can convert between systems, research missing information and implement stylistic consistency
- Proven methodology that combines a persistent focus on the details with big-picture planning
- Extensive experience coordinating with suppliers (freelance and non) around the world: I can suggest suppliers or work with your existing network (for project management)
Proofreading: PhD theses and dissertations
What our clients and colleagues say
I had the pleasure of working with Hazel on two multivolume encyclopedias. Hazel is highly organised and efficient, consistently meeting tight deadlines. She possesses the clear communication skills and adaptability of a successful project manager that enable her to understand her client’s needs, plan several steps ahead, and proactively provide alternative solutions. She is extremely reliable and committed to producing a quality product. On many instances, she has gone beyond the scope of her role to add value to the project. No matter how complex or challenging the project was, Hazel always managed it superbly and I strongly recommend her.
- Genevieve Looi, production editor, Wiley Blackwell
You’ve done an amazing job. I really appreciate the calm and accomplished way you’ve dealt with all the complexities and unusual challenges of the project.
- production editor, Wiley Blackwell
Thank you for bringing your meticulous eye, extraordinary patience, and implacable intelligence to this book. I’m tremendously grateful to you for all your wonderful work.
- Aysha Pollnitz, Assistant Professor of History, Grinnell College
I could not have asked for a better copy-editor than Hazel as we worked to prepare the book for publication. I recognise all the hard work she put into this task, and appreciate it greatly.
- Peter Messent, Emeritus Professor of Modern American Literature, Nottingham University
Hazel’s copyediting was meticulous, well judged and thoughtful. She has a wonderful eye and helped craft my rather chaotic manuscript into something far more scholarly and accurate! Her communications to me were always swift and clear, and it was a pleasure to see her at work.
- Ben McCann, University of Adelaide
Thanks for being so thorough in your emails – it is really great to have the problem all laid out clearly along with a summary of the questions or suggestions for solutions. Makes life much easier!
- production editor, Wiley Blackwell
You made no changes that seemed gratuitous, and made no more than necessary. I am equally amazed by your skill and by your temperament. You have made this process not only more efficient but also more painless than I thought possible.
- Deborah Tannen, Professor, Department of Linguistics, Georgetown University, USA, and author of You Just Don’t Understand
I am a (mature) PhD candidate who was advised by my examiners to seek the help of an editor in order to complete the changes they wanted to see in my dissertation. Hazel’s contribution was precise and efficient and her accuracy reminded me of the way I was taught to write English 40 years ago but over the years have forgotten. She commenced work on exactly the day she said she would, completed ahead of schedule, and was able to get my second round of comments in more quickly than expected. Her willingness to answer ad hoc questions as I ground through my own work was a tremendous added value to working with her. In short, a pleasure to work with and I could not recommend her more highly.
- Adam Gower, PhD student, UCL
It was a great pleasure working with you as your emails were very explanatory and the instructions were crystal clear. Thanks for being very supportive and providing instant feedback on the quality of the proofs.
- Swapna Srinivasan, typesetting project manager, SPi
Hazel has been really great to work with. She is steady and consistent, and has made my job less crazy-making. She is one of the best I have ever worked with.
- professor of anthropology, USA
In the seven books I’ve written, you really have been the most thorough and professional editor I’ve had the pleasure to work with.
- professor of history, USA
Working closely with authors to hone their manuscript into a rigorously presented text that remains faithful to their style and intentions.
Coordinating with a set of authors – and potentially also an editor-in-chief and/or editorial board – to ensure the writing is harmonised to the degree required.
Journal articles and book chapters
Including pre-submission. Ensuring adherence to the publication’s style guide and particularly focusing on ensuring the language is clear and idiomatic.
Encyclopedias and other large works
Click here for more information.
Working to ensure accuracy and clarity while developing the language and presentation, as required, so they are suitable for the intended audience.
PhD theses and dissertations
Ensuring grammatical consistency and clarity of language within ethical guidelines around the editing of work intended for assessment.
Book proposals, CVs, résumés, covering letters, etc.
Ensuring your message is presented clearly and effectively so as to persuade others of your message or skills.
I work across most subjects in the humanities and social sciences, and sometimes also the health sciences. However, some particular areas of expertise and experience are as follows:
- Art and art history
- Business and finance
- History and genealogy
- Literature and criticism
- Media, culture and communication
- Music, music history and music technology
- Public sector
- Religion and faith
I also work on encyclopedias (also called major reference works, or MRWs). Click here for more information.
Clients and publishers
I have worked with most of these publishers directly. In other cases, I have worked with a packager (a company that provides editorial services to a publisher) or an author who has had their manuscript accepted by a publisher or journal but wants editorial help prior to beginning work with the publisher.
- Cambridge University Press
- I.B. Tauris
- Manchester University Press
- Oxford University Press
- Swales & Willis
- Taylor & Francis
- Wiley Blackwell
- Zed Books
- Numerous academics at universities around the world
What I’m most proud of
Choosing any one publication to put here would be arbitrary. Really, what I’m most proud of in my academic work is the consistency of my feedback from authors, publishers and fellow freelancers. Finishing a project on time and on brief is hugely satisfying, but it’s particularly gratifying when others take the time to let me know how pleased they are with the sensitivity of my editing or how smoothly the project came together. Take a look at the examples above.
- Neuropsychology of Art, Dahlia W. Zaidel (Psychology Press, 2015)
- The Cambridge Companion to the Beats, edited by Steven Belletto (Cambridge University Press, 2016)
- Translating the Queer: Body Politics and Transnational Conversations, Hector Dominguez-Ruvalcaba (Zed Books, 2016)
- Locke’s Image of the World, Michael Jacovides (Oxford University Press, 2017)
- Psychology, edited by Graham Davey (Wiley Blackwell, 2018)